INSTRUCTIONS: Click on Edit at the bottom of the screen ( if that doesn’t come up, hit the refresh curser in your browser. Click “classic editor”, position your cursor where you want to post, click, type your entry — include date, who was there, what you did and what you observed. Then click on Update in the upper right corner. If you can’t edit, you may need to Log In or you may not yet have been named an Editor — use the Contact Us page to ask us to authorize you.)
– – – – – – –
“TOP OF BLOG” NOTES:
– Weed around the succulents
– Water the succulents
– Water plants on the trellis by pepper tree
– Clean up leaves from pepper tree (inside the garden and around the succulents)
– Water rosemary & thyme plants
– Clean out and reorganize Tupperware container in the garden
DELIVERY THURSDAY’s — harvest goes to Becky’s home by 9:45 am.
Instructions for Refurbishing
1. Turn the soil all along the row with a shovel, as deep as possible, starting from the valve end and walking backyards flipping each shovel full. Go farther along the row than the previous crop to prevent rows from getting shorter with time.
2. Spread 3 5-gallon buckets of compost evenly along the row (using the wheel barrow)
3. Spread 1/2 bag of chicken manure evenly along the row
4. Spread 1 bag of worm castings evenly along the row
5. Spread 12 cups of Gardner and Bloome granular fertilizer (or Bio Flora) evenly along the row
6. Turn the soil amendments one more time with shovel and break up clumps. .Mix well with a rake.
7. Shape the bed, forming a neat level row.
**To post harvest weights, go to: https://backyardproduceproject.org/garden-2-harvest-record/
NOTE FROM JANE ON JULY 11 ABOUT POSTING ON THE BLOG: If you try to edit and see weird messages about blocks, it’s because WordPress now offers two different editors, the Block Editor and the Classic Editor. We’re sticking with the Classic Editor. Always choose the Classic Editor if given a choice, and if you see weird stuff about blocks and don’t see a choice, go into Settings (a wheel that appears in the top right area after you click on Edit) and select Classic Editor there. Let me know if you have problems with this.
NOTE FROM JANE on AUG 6 about fertilizers – Our wonderful inventory team, Tony and Maureen, have alerted me that we have a lot of Gardner and Bloome Tomato, Vegetable, and Herb Fertilizer and very little Bio Flora fertilizer. Roy assures us that these two produces are interchangeable in use, so please the Gardner and Bloome where you have been using Bio Flora. Thank you!
Week of 11/15-11/ 21/19
Saturday- Liz away
- Fertilize row’s 1 & 3 with 1 cup Fish Emulsion in one watering can and fill with water and sprinkle along row, trying to reach the soil to feed the roots, follow with one watering can filled with water only, to help fertilizer soak in. Repeat with next row.
2. Weed along rows.
Wednesday- Rake pepper tree leaves. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Thursday- Check plants under covers. Check rows 1 & 3 for cauliflower. Help other gardens harvest.
Thursday, November 14- posted by Jill with Cheri, Janet & Wanda
garden looks good, decrease in rodent activity. Nothing to harvest. Helped gardens 1 & 3 harvest.
Saturday, November 9- posted by Jill for Liz
Sprayed rows 1 & 3 with BT & Safer. Hand watered plants not on drip.
Week of 11/8-11/14
Saturday- Spray rows 1 & 3 with BT (1 TBL/gallon) & Safer 1/4 cup. Hand water plants not on drip & succulents outside garden. Check new plants under row covers for moisture, use water meter if needed from garden 1, hand water if dry. Thanks!
Monday- student holiday
Wednesday- Weed between plants along rows, shake off excess soil, place weeds in green waste trash (not compost). Hand water succulents outside garden.
Thursday- General garden assessment & care.
Thursday, November 7- posted by Jill with Cheri, Janet & Wanda
Brought last of ripened Celebrity tomatoes for delivery.
fertilized rows 1 & 3, with 1 cup FE and watered in. Plants growing well, decrease in rodent eating.
Monday, November 4- posted by Jill for Abraxas students
Planted cabbage row 2 with help from Sandra garden 1. Watered in. Jill applied Sluggo Plus and white row cover.
Saturday- refurbish row 2, turn water back on & check tape for leaks.
Monday- Plant row 2 (probably planting cabbage). First water row well with hose, to saturate soil, plant 18” apart zig zag (18” apart on north side of tape, then in between the two on the south side of tape) use measuring stick on top of work bench, apply Sluggo Plus around plants (careful not to get on leaves), insert hoops to row, cover with white row cover & secure with metal hooks. No worries if you run out of time, I’ll finish up. Thanks!**Jill or Sandra from garden 1 will be in garden to help**
Wednesday- garden clean up.
Thursday- check new plants row’s 2 & 4, replant any. check rows 1 & 3 for heads of cauliflower, fertilize with 1 cup FE for 1″ head. Check rodent activity.
Thursday, October 31- posted by jill with cheri, janet & wanda
harvested last of zucchini, pulled plants, cleaned row of leaves & roots, turned soil over, turned water off- ready to be refurbished. Nancy from garden 3 set new traps. Checked plants row 4, still growing despite being eaten.
Week of 10/28-11/01/19
Wednesday– rake up pepper tree leaves outside & inside garden, place in green trash bags.
Thursday- harvest last of zucchini, pull plants. check new plants row 4, replace any that are needed. Check rat traps, reset.
***Jill will be traveling 10/20-10/27. The blog will be posted from 10/19-10/28, Thanks everyone!***
Monday, October 28- posted by Jill
Checked new plants row 4, removed black shade cloth & applied white cover per Roy, noted some chewed leaves on plants west end. Weeded, removed spent leaves from rows 1 & 3 watered plants not on drip
Thursday Oct. 24 posted by Cheri and Janet
Harvested 7 pounds of zucchini, planted broccoli in row four, watered it in, shook sluggo around plants and covered with shade cloth. Traps are empty, not sprung. But signs of rodents. eating cauliflower plants at end of row.
Saturday 10/19- refurbish row 4, turn water back on, check irrigation tape for leaks. Clean shovels & rake in bleach bucket for 10 min, rinse off under water, before returning to shed. Thanks!
Monday 10/21- Spray zucchini with Serenade 1/4 cup (found in container below garden 2’s work bench, mixed with 1/2 gallon water in pump sprayer (found in locked storage shed outside garden 1), this helps combat powdery mildew on leaves, please spray under leaves too. When finished rinse out container with water. Any questions ask gardens 1 & 3. If you have time hand water plants not on drip.
Wednesday 10/23- Fertilize zucchini, row 2, with 1 cup AgGrand, mixed in one watering can, then hand water in with another can of water.
Thursday 10/24- harvest zucchini. plant row 4. Hand water well first, plant, apply Sluggo Plus, check with Roy on spacing & if needs row cover. Check rat traps, if tripped see if Nancy in garden 3 can re-set.
Saturday 10/26- BT & Safer to rows 1 & 3. Check new plants in row 4 for moisture, hand water if needed. Check rodent activity, re-set traps if needed.
Monday 10/28- Check new plants in row 4 for moisture, by using “moisture meter” found in garden 1’s work area (ask someone from garden 1 where it is), if the meter doesn’t read “moist” then hand water with watering can. Weed between plants in rows. Hand water plants not on drip.
Thursday, October 17 – posted by Jill with Cheri & Wanda
harvested last of tomatoes, took home green ones to ripen. Pulled plants & chopped up in compost bin. Turned row one both sides, turned water off, ready to refurbish.
Week of 10/12-10/18
Saturday- BT & safer to rows 1 & 3. Sluggo plus to 1 & 3 thanks!
Monday– ** watch out for rat traps**
1. pull weeds between plants rows 1 & 3, place in green east trash can (don’t want to contaminate the compost)
2. Hand water plants inside & outside garden not on drip. Thanks!
Wednesday– Make one wheelbarrow full of mixed compost: using long handled shovels, one scoop of Bio-stack to one scoop of Miramar compost, place on screen to strain out lumps & leaves, place in “Mixed compost” pile Thanks!!
Thursday– harvest. White row covers to rows 1 & 3.
Thursday, October 10- posted by jill
harvested tomatoes & zucchini. Several tomatoes eaten . Nancy from garden 3 re-set 3 rat traps, one in west end zucchini row, one east end tomatoes & 3rd south west side of fence. Both crops dwindling, plan to remove within the next week or two. Cut several zucchini leaves with powdery mildew, placed in green waste bag.
Monday, October 7- posted by Jill for Abraxas
black shade cloths removed rows 1 & 3. Fertilized zucchini with 1 cup AgGrand & hand watered in.
Saturday 10/5 (posted by Rachel) – fertilized tomatoes with 7 cups bio-flora. Sprayed zucchini & tomatoes with Serenade. I did not see any evidence of powdery mildew on tomatoes.
NOTE FROM JANE ON SATURDAY, October 5 – I’m pleased to tell you that we have a grant from the Poway Valley Garden Club’s Outreach Project, awarded to gardens that beautify the community, promote interest in gardening, and provide garden education and information. Our sincere thanks to the Poway Valley Garden Club!
Week of 10/05-10/11
Saturday-fertilize tomatoes with 7 cups bio-flora or Garden & Bloome, side dress & hand water in. Spray zucchini & tomatoes with Serenade, 1/4 cup-1/2 cup per gallon sprayer with water. Noted black spots along stems of some of tomato plants, hoping Serenade will take care of. Check for rodent activity, may need to re-set traps (I left traps near fence & west end of row 2) if bites are noted on tomatoes & zucchini. Thanks!
- Fertilize zucchini with 1 cup AgGrand mixed in watering can, full of water, go back over row with another can full of just water, to help soak in.
- Remove black shade cloths from both rows 1 & 3. First, remove metal stakes securing them and hang back up on the side of our work bench, then fold and place in containers along fence. As always, do what you can & we can finish on Thursday. Thanks!
- Sweep up pepper tree leaves outside of garden, place in green waste trash bags.
Thursday- harvest. check rodent activity. Powdery mildew on zucchini and black on tomato plants.
Thursday, October 3- posted by Jill with Cheri, Janet & Wanda
harvested 6.5 lb assorted apples from orchard. Harvested zucchini & tomatoes. Both rat traps tripped, opted not to re-set, as they aren’t caught, noted a handful of tomatoes with bites. Removed several zucchini leaves with powdery mildew. Removed brown, curling leaves from tomaotes.
Week of 09/28-10/04
Saturday- Spray rows 2 & 4 with BT & Safer, add Serenade per bottle instructions to zucchini row, to keep powdery mildew at bay. Asses further rodent activity. Thanks!
- Water plants not on drip inside & outside garden.
- Cut brown curling leaves/stem from lower side of tomato plants, place in green waste trash can, not compost pile. Thanks!
Wednesday- Trim ice plant outside garden 1 north side, path to orchard, to decrease creeping onto pathway. Place trimmed plant in black trash bags (make sure bag is not too heavy, so we can carry to curb). Thanks!
Thursday- harvest. Check rodent activity, re-set traps. Trim diseased zucchini leaves as needed.
Thursday, September 26- posted by Jill with Cheri
No harvest from orchard today. Several apples, but not ripe.
harvested. Re-set rat trap along fence, noted bites from one tomato & a couple of small zucchini. Trimmed zucchini leaves that looked diseased & placed in green waste trash.
Week of 09/21-09/27
Saturday- fertilize tomatoes with 7 cups bio-flora or Garden & Bloome. Check rat traps, re-set if needed. check if zucchini has been nibbled. Check new plants, see if needs hand watering or replacing. Thanks!
- Fertilize zucchini row with 1 cup AgGrand liquid fertilizer (found in blue bin on left side underneath work bench), add fertilizer to watering can, fill with water & apply down center of zucchini row near base so fertilizer can soak into roots, one can should make it down the entire row, then fill can with one more time with just water and go down the row again.
- hand water succulents/plants outside garden & just inside garden gate. Thanks!!
Wednesday- Do outside garden tasks as noted last Wednesday. We received a new load of Miramar compost last week, that is ready to be mixed and sifted with our compost, combine one wheelbarrow full and dump in center space.
Thursday- harvest. check new plants. check for rodent activity.
Thursday, September 19- posted by Jill with Janet & Wanda
harvested from orchard: Fiji apples 13 lb & gala apples 5 lb.
harvested tomatoes & zucchini, brought back tomatoes that had ripened. Added Miramar compost around tomato plants to see if helps with splits. Trimmed zucchini leaves. Naomi from garden 1 re-set traps along 1- westside fence & 1- in west side of zucchini row. Helped unload Miramar compost load, moved majority of old compost to upper right side of pile.
Monday, September 16- posted by Jill with Abraxas crew
planted (41) cheddar & Vita verde cauliflower in row 1. Hand watered row, applied Sluggo Plus, covered with black row cover. Removed shade cloth from tomatoes. Noted 2 zucchini’s nibbled. Harvested large zucchini’s and took home until Thursday’s delivery. Trimmed zucchini leaves.
Week of 09/14-09/20
Saturday- refurbish row 1, we did not do the initial turn down the row, only removed leaves. Please check irrigation tape for leaks & repair if needed/able or let me know. Check new plants row 3, if need extra water. We filled up water & bleach solution to clean common tools. Thanks!!
Monday- No harvests on Monday’s, changed to Thursday’s only starting this week.
- Plant row 1. Jill will be there to help.
Wednesday- **Do any or all of the below tasks** Thanks!!
- hand water succulents and plants not on drip outside & inside garden.
- Rake pepper tree leaves outside garden on path & around seating area, place in trash bags and place near green waste trash cans.
3. Working the finished compost pile:
- -Get a wheelbarrow
- -Find the screen and place on wheelbarrow
- -Shoveling 1 shovel full of each kind of compost (there’s bio-stake, mushroom, & Miramar compost) mix the compost through the shifter screen.When wheelbarrow is full, dump the contents into the pile labeled mixed compost. New labels are being made, dump new mix in between the two piles for mix #2.
- -Replace all tools back to their proper place.
Thursday- harvest. Harvest has changed to weekly starting today. Check new plantings, check if need hand watering and if any need replacements.
Thursday 09/12- posted by Jill with Cheri, Janet & Wanda
harvested. Harvested last of green tomatoes from row 1, I took home to ripen. Pulled plants from row 1 placed in green trash bags since have aphids & leaf curl, removed stakes, raked up leaves. Fertilized zucchini with 1 cup Aggrand. Sprayed rows 2 & 4 with Safer & BT, added Serenade to zucchini row. Planted row 3 with Candid Charm Cauliflower, hand watered row, applied Sluggo Plus and covered with Black row cover.
Wednesday 09/11- posted by Jill for Abraxas
harvested green tomatoes from row 1. Watered succulents outside garden.
Monday 09/09- posted by Jill with Abraxas students & Kathy
harvested. Orient students & Kathy to garden.
Week of 09/07-09/13
Saturday- Plans to plant row 3 on hold until Wed/Thur due to high temps. Fertilize row 4 tomatoes with 8 cups Bio-Flora or G&B, water in with hose. Check zucchini for aphids underneath leaves, I saw some curling leaves with aphids, hose off to remove. Thanks much!!!
Monday- Welcome Abraxas students & staff! Jill will meet you in the garden to orient you to garden and procedures. ***Watch for rat/mouse traps in garden, zucchini row has two, that have a flag near trap***
- Harvest red tomatoes from row 1 & harvest zucchini from row 2, that are approx. 6″ or larger. When you harvest a zucchini, also cut off the stem closest to the zucchini, helps allow air to circulate and prevent powdery mildew and disease.
- water plants outside garden gate & inside gate that aren’t on drip with hose. Thank you!!
Wednesday students- Kathy, below are options for the students, I don’t expect all to be completed, do what you think the students are up for and text me what was done. I think Wednesday’s are your “outside the garden” tasks, but if you’d like to work on harvesting the green tomatoes from row 1, that would be helpful with prep to getting ready to remove the plants. Text me if you have any questions. Thank you!
- Remove green tomatoes from row 1 (row closest to the entry gate & near containers), leaving any with red/orange color. Place in cardboard boxes that are in the shed outside garden 1. Place boxes of tomatoes inside garden 1’s work area on counter, label “garden 2”. I’ll pick up tomorrow to ripen. ***Do what you’re able, we’ll finish up the rest on Thursday***
- rake up pepper tree leaves outside garden entrance & around seating area, place in green trash bag and place bag near trash cans.
- hand water with hose or watering can plants outside garden gate and plants inside gate not on drip line.
- cut up items in compost bin #1, into smaller pieces (approximately 5″) to ease composting process.
Thursday- plant row 3. harvest all tomatoes row 1. Take green tomatoes home to ripen. Pull tomato plants & prep for refurbishment on Saturday. BT & Safer row 2 & 4, add Serenade to row 2 zucchini. Check with Roy re: fertilizing zucchini.
Thursday 09/05- posted by Jill with Cheri, Cheri’s brother, Steve & Wanda
harvested 2 lbs Gala apples from orchard, tried small apple- delicious!
harvested last of peppers, pulled plants & refurbished row, left some leaves from plants in new soil for composting and nutrients, hand watered in & checked tape for leaks. Ready for planting on Saturday.
Steve re-set rodent traps with peanut butter & piece of an apple. Watch for two traps in zucchini plants.
Monday 09/02- posted by Jill
harvested. Harvested majority of bell peppers, decided to leave the remaining on until Thursday for last harvest. Harvested 1st zucchini! Trimmed leaves to prevent powdery mildew and removed leaves (mostly smaller ones) infested with aphids.
Week of 08/31-09/06
Saturday- Spray all rows with BT & Safer, apply Serenade to zucchini to prevent powdery mildew. Check traps, A couple of red tomatoes that were found on the ground had some large bites taken from them this week. Thanks!
Monday- harvest, & harvest all peppers.
Thursday- harvest. Remove all pepper plants, get row ready prepped for refurb. Check irrigation tape for leaks.
(For earlier blog entries, ask Jane, who maintains the archived filesNOTE FROM JANE on AUG 11 about liquid fertilizer — We’ve been using AgGrand liquid fertilizer for several years, but we’re running out and the company is no longer in business. Roy says to use fish emulsion / fish fertilizer as a replacement.