Before replanting each row, the row must be refurbished with amendments and fertilizer.
Basic Recipe for Refurbishing
- 1 bag of worm castings
- 1/2 bag of chicken manure (whether it’s EZ Green or Gardner and Bloome)
- 12 cups of Gardner and Bloome granular fertilizer (or Bio Flora)
- 2-3 five-gallon buckets of compost (or as needed)
Instructions for Refurbishing
1. Turn the soil all along the row with a shovel, as deep as possible,.starting from the valve end and walking backyards flipping each shovel full. Go farther along the row than the previous crop to prevent rows from getting shorter with time.
2. Spread 3 5-gallon buckets of compost evenly along the row (using the wheel barrow)
3. Spread 1/2 bag of chicken manure evenly along the row
4. Spread 1 bag of worm castings evenly along the row
5. Spread 12 cups of Gardner and Bloome granular fertilizer (or Bio Flora) evenly along the row
6. Turn the soil and amendments with a shovel to mix in the amendments in and break up clumps. .Mix well with a rake.
7. Shape the bed, forming a neat level row.